Affiliate marketing is a great way to build a business regularly and persistently. There’s no room for pie in the sky attitudes in this business. If you hope to get rich quickly, this is not your gig.
The key to affiliate marketing success is choosing the right niche, for several reasons. First, it has to be a topic that will continue to hold your attention because you’ll be writing about it for many years. Secondly, it needs to be a section of the market where there are enough products for you to promote.
I believe it’s necessary for both of these components to be present if you want to build a long-term successful affiliate marketing business. Affiliate businesses cannot thrive unless there is an ample amount of products to promote on a continuous basis, and marketers like what they are doing!
Likewise, if you choose a niche that you aren’t passionate about, you’ll find it hard to write about it for five years or longer. Chances are you won’t stick with it, and that means all the hard work you put into the business model is wasted when you walk away to try something new.
This is why I don’t recommend you become an affiliate marketer just for the sake of making money! You’re creating this business to HELP people – always remember that. However, you can’t help people if you aren’t enthusiastic about the work you’re doing, so be sure you pick something that you LOVE!
Ask Three Questions
There are three questions that will help you define whether or not a niche is worthy of consideration. Ask yourself:
1. Do I have a long-term interest in this area?
Is this something you can write about on a daily basis? Your website will need consistent updating with new information – especially if you want people to perceive you as an authority figure.
2. Do people spend money?
Are there buyers? How often do they spend money? Are companies advertising in this niche? Are there magazines available on the topic? Check Google – are people buying pay per click ads? If so, it means there is an audience for this niche.
3. Are there enough products to promote?
You need products to promote otherwise your business will not last. Make sure there are enough products to sustain your business for five years, at the bare minimum.
What Are the Top Affiliate Marketing Niches?
Some affiliate marketers decide early on that they are going to sell digital products and tangible items. This allows them to make more money because they combine the two, instead of settling on one in particular.
Some niches do quite well within the marketplace; here are a few worth mentioning:
- Relationships are one of the best niches with people wanting to meet compatible matches or to save existing relationships. Unfortunately, there are not many tangible items to promote for this niche.
- Money is another niche offering digital products to promote, and people are constantly searching for them online. There is no shortage of interest in the money niche.
- Diet is a niche that’s suitable for both male and female, in many age groups – plus it offers massive opportunities to sell both digital and tangible products. You’ll find digital courses to help with weight loss, and many of them cater to a targeted audience.
If you want to promote tangible items, look to Amazon where you’ll find treadmills, elliptical machines and DVD exercises that you can pair up with a product review of a digital course.
- Self-help is another popular niche. People are always looking for stress and anxiety relief. You could couple an information course with items from Amazon like candles, supplements, and massage gadgets.
- Insomnia is popular because sleep disorders are very common and this niche provides digital and tangible product opportunities for you to promote. Think along the lines of better bedding, sleep masks and white noise machines that you can couple with a digital course.
Additionally, you’ll find a variety of products to promote within the coffee, parenting, pet and household item niches.
Unfortunately, I cannot tell you which niche to pick for your affiliate marketing business. Only you understand where your interests lie and what topic excites you the most.
Once you’ve chosen your niche, it’s time to establish your home on the Internet. Should you use Squidoo or start a WordPress blog? I will answer these questions (and more) in Part 3 of the series, so stay tuned!
Which niche did you choose and why? Leave a comment below and let me know!
Thanks for reading,
P.S. Did you enjoy this message? If so, please share it with your friends so they can benefit from schmoozing. Then, if you want to get more messages like this one, connect with me via my social links below or hop aboard my notification list. I would like to keep in touch.