Today’s blog post is an answer to a recent question, “Can you do a tutorial on using FTP or show how to put a document for download on the server?”
So I created a video to show you how to use a program called FileZilla that allows you to copy a file from your computer over to your hosting account so you can make it available to subscribers as a download.
If you don’t care for video, there are text instructions and a download file listed below.
Watch the Video:
Go to the FileZilla website. When you click the icon to download the program, it will take you over to the SourceForge.net website.
A box will pop up asking you where to you want save the file on your computer. Save it to a directory you can easily find later and then click the “Save button.”
- Double click on this icon to start the extraction process. During the installation, you will be asked if you want to install two other (non-related) programs. Hit the “Decline” button on each of those files.
- Accept the default installation directory, and the name it wants to place on your system menu.
- After installation completes, click your “Start” button. Locate the FileZilla program on the menu and click it to start the program.
Step #1: Start the Site Manager
Go up to the File Menu, click “File” and choose “Site Manager.” To connect to your hosting server, you will need to add a new site name to your manager.
Step #2: Create a Site Name
- Click on the “New Site” button and enter the name of your website.
- Add your domain name minus the http://www part in the “Host” field.
- Change “Login Type” to Normal.
- Add your “User” and “Password” information.
- Click the “Connect” button to connect to your hosting account.
After entering your domain information and clicking the connect button, you should see a split screen. The left part of the screen shows the files on your computer and the right part of the split screen shows your hosting account.
Step #3: Copy a File from Your Computer
Before copying any files, you want to double click on the “www” directory listing on your hosting account so you copy files to the correct location on your server:
- Switch to the hosting directory you want to copy a file to.
- Choose a file on the left side of the split screen, from your computer files.
- Right click the file name with your mouse and choose “Upload.”
This will copy the file from your computer to your hosting account. You should be able to see the file on the hosting server. That’s all there is to it! If you need any further assistance, please let me know!
Download the FTP Instructions
Do you work better with visuals? Download the FTP report for pictures.
How comfortable are working with FTP files? Leave a comment below and let me know!
Thanks for reading,
P.S. Did you enjoy this message? If so, please share it with your friends so they can benefit from schmoozing. Then, if you want to get more messages like this one, connect with me via my social links below or hop aboard my notification list. I would like to keep in touch.